specifying different location for data and wal on fedora core 3 /backup question again - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joel Fradkin
Subject specifying different location for data and wal on fedora core 3 /backup question again
Date
List pgsql-sql

Being new to Linux I am not 100% sure on a few items.

I could find

% setenv PGDATA2 /home/postgres/data
% initlocation $PGDATA2
Creating Postgres database system directory /home/postgres/data

Creating Postgres database system directory /home/postgres/data/base

For defining data in another spot, but was not sure how to put the environment into the Postgres superuser's .profile or .cshrc

I have two file systems (on separate raids per a suggestion from a list member)

They are /pgdata and /wal respectively.

Can anyone point me to a walkthrough how to do this (assuming its documented somewhere)?

I still have had no luck with the backup (I did notice when the database is created using dbcreate ; logged in as postgres) it had

CREATE DATABASE wazagua

  WITH OWNER = postgres

       ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII';

The backup seemed to blow up on

pg_restore: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE": 0xe9

Do I have to specify ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII'; some how?

If so can anyone give me the backup and restore syntax.

It gives no errors backing up, just restoring.

Joel Fradkin