Is there a variant/anytype datatype in postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Bochenek
Subject Is there a variant/anytype datatype in postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general

Both oracle and MS-SQL server have a variant datatype which allows the insertion of any data type except BLOBs.  A short integer is concatenated onto the front of the piece of data being inserted into the variant (SQL Server) or anytype(Oracle) which defines the type of data in the field.  Does Postgresql have anything like this or is there anyway to create such functionality?  I’m working on a data management system for archiving heterogeneous data sets and my initial design incorporates this variant data type.

Rob Bochenek

Data Systems Manager

Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Trustee Council

441 W 5th Avenue, Suite 500