Re: Moving a database - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Re: Moving a database
Date
List pgsql-novice

I’m also about to do that and also asked that a while ago (thanks to everybody who replied then).

From help, I see suggested syntax of

1) pg_dump –f filename

I guess it does the same as

2) pg_dump > filename

On the destination server, from help I’m seeing syntax like

1) pg_restore –d myDB filename

(to my guess).

That is different from

2) psql dbName < filename

but the result will probably be the same.

Then there is also:

3) psql myDB

\i filename

Is there any difference b/n the 2 dump and the 3 restore ways? If yes. which of the 2 and 3 ways are preferable?

Thanks,
r.