SSD endurance calculations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christiaan Willemsen
Subject SSD endurance calculations
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hey there,

We are looking at beefing up our servers with SSD's. Some of you did some interesting tests with the Intel 320. So the idea came to make a RAID10 with four 600GB models.

I did however do some calculations with the current database server (220GB database, expected to grow to 1TB by the end of next year). I specifically looked at /proc/diskstat at the read/write figures. From there I could see a read/write ratio of 3:1, and I also saw a wopping 170GB of writes per day (for a database that currently grows 1GB per dag). That seems like an insanely high figure to me! How come? We do mostly inserts, hardly any updates, virtually no deletes.

Secondly, I also looked at the reliability figures of the Intel 320. They show 5 years of 20GB per day, meaning that it will hold up for about 200 days in our system. RAID 10 wil make 400 days of that, but this seems hardly a lot.. Am I missing something here?

Kind regards,

Christiaan