Long (really long) queries and not sure how to diagnose - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tony Day
Subject Long (really long) queries and not sure how to diagnose
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Folks

We are running PostgreSQL 8.3.9 on Ubuntu 9.04 and yesterday the Postgresql log reported about 15 SQL queries that had taken between 30,000 and 50,000 seconds (not ms) to execute.

All (except one) of the queries are single Inserts to the same relatively simple table (no triggers or the like).

A colleague has suggested that it might be a deadlock but my understanding is that Postgresql identifies deadlocks and terminates one of the queries.

I would appreciate any suggestions of where to look and (more importantly) what to look for to figure this out.

Many thanks

Regards, Tony