Re: v7.3Beta4 Tag'd and Packaged ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mats Lofkvist
Subject Re: v7.3Beta4 Tag'd and Packaged ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
scrappy@hub.org ("Marc G. Fournier") writes:

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > to pull in those changes that were made to the REL7_3_STABLE branch ...
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > > But, if I did:
> > >         cvs checkout -rREL7_3_STABLE pgsql
> > > What would I use as BRANCHNAME in the -j to 'pull in' the changes we made
> > > to HEAD?  Or is there where I'm misunderstanding something?
> >
> > Use "HEAD" for the tag from within the REL7_3_STABLE branch:
> >
> > cvs update -jHEAD pgsql
> >
> > The files will then show that they are modified, and you can then commit
> > the changes to your branch.
>
> *groan*  I figured I was restricted to that which shows as BRANCH/TAGs in
> a cvs log :(
>
> Noted for next release cycle ... thanks

Some CVS commands have HEAD meaning "head of the branch I'm currently on"
and not the 'real' head, so watch out for confusing results when using
HEAD on a branch. (I'm quite sure this applies to 'cvs diff' but I don't
remember if it affects 'cvs update -j' also.)

This was explicitly added to CVS as a 'feature' a few years ago.
(Why is beyond me since I find it incredibly stupid :-)
     _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se