Re: GSOC PostgreSQL partitioning issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: GSOC PostgreSQL partitioning issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Necati Batur <necatibatur@gmail.com> wrote:
> The more specific of the items will just be the exact job I guess.
> However the detailed form will be hard to write now.
> Or should I explain the sql issues for each point?

Partitioning is a big project.  It seems to me that if you want to
have any chance of making a meaningful contribution in one summer,
you're going to need to have a pretty specific idea of what you hope
to accomplish up front, and I don't think you have that right now.
The hard changes are not going to be adjustments to SQL syntax, but in
the guts of the planner, executor, system catalogs, etc.

...Robert