Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job - Mailing list pgsql-general

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job
Date
Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

> > It is merely a conflict of interest issue.  Same issue in law as having
> > attorney's from the same firm on the side of defendant and plaintiff.  If
> > the plaintiff is a multi-million dollar client and the defendant is
> > pro-bono... there is concern about bias.
> >
> > Congratulations is in order for Mr. Momjian.  I'm not saying he should or
> > shouldn't work for them.  I'm just playing devil's advocate.
>
> The interesting issue here is that law firms by nature are adviserial.
> My paper showed that most issues are actually ones of companies managing
> a shared resource, so the analogy is not quite accurate.

OTOH, Red Hat, Inc. employs most of the gcc developers and by far the
most GDB developers(80-90% of commits). There are still mechanisms in
place to hinder that we have any sort of control over these...

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.