Re: HELP! BUG? pg_dump mucks up grant/revoke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: HELP! BUG? pg_dump mucks up grant/revoke
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Keith F Irwin <kirwin14@home.com> writes:
> > [ 7.1.2 pg_dump dumps GRANT/REVOKE for a view before the view itself ]
> >
> > This is a bug, isn't it?
>
> Yes, and a rather unpleasant one, since it will force people to do
> manual correction of their dump files, if they have views with
> permissions set on them.
>
> I think the fix will be simple (haven't looked at the code yet though).
>
> Question we need to think about: is this a sufficiently bad problem
> to justify putting out a 7.1.3 release?  There are a few other
> unhappinesses in 7.1.2 that have been or could be fixed by
> back-patching, but so far I haven't felt that we needed a 7.1.3,

Buggy 7.1.2 -> 7.2 will create more problems than if people get 7.1.3
and do a 7.1.3 -> 7.2 update.

> given that 7.2 isn't too far away.  But this bug is going to make it
> difficult for people to upgrade to 7.2, unless we provide a 7.1
> patch release first.
>
> Opinions anyone?

I'd hope for "yes", although the available patch should solve the
problems for us (Red Hat Linux) as I'll add that.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.