Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> That's been Mark's primary argument all along, and what it ignores is
> that the standard behavior for daemons is designed around the assumption
> that a system is running only one copy of any given daemon.  That's a
> fine assumption for most daemons but an unacceptable one for Postgres.

I don't think there would be that much problems with it, but you can
always have defaults in one location and allow them to be overridable.

> > However, it wouldn't surprize me  in the least for a distributor
> > such as Red Hat to apply this patch.
>
> Oh, I doubt it...
>
>             regards, tom lane
>             Red Hat Database project

Don't. I'd do it in a heartbeat - I'd love to have /etc/postgresql/
with defaults. Configuration files should not be located in /var.

regards, Trond Eivind Glomsrød
developer, Red Hat Linux developer
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød