FreeBSD page size (was Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject FreeBSD page size (was Re: The results of my PostgreSQL/filesystem performance tests)
Date
List pgsql-performance

>> I need to step in and do 2 things:
SC> Thanks for posting that.  Let me know if you have any questions while
SC> doing your testing.  I've found that using 16K blocks on FreeBSD
SC> results in about an 8% speedup in writes to the database, fwiw.

Just double checking: if I do this, then I need to halve the
parameters in postgresql.conf that involve buffers, specifically,
max_fsm_pages and shared_buffers.  I think max_fsm_pages should be
adjusted since the number of pages in the system overall has been
halved.

Anything else that should be re-tuned for this?

My tests are still running so I don't have numbers yet.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/