Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> I would expect that they'll get an error message that makes it clear
>>> enough what to do ;-).  In any case, changing the name is hardly going
>>> to fix things so that 8.4 settings will still work, so why are you
>>> giving that case as an argument for it?
>
>> Principle of obvious breakage.
>
> And?  If we do it by adding the new variable while not renaming
> archive_mode, then I'd expect an 8.4 configuration to yield an error
> along the lines of
>
> ERROR: invalid combination of configuration parameters
> HINT: To turn on archive_mode, you must set wal_mode to "archive" or "hot_standby".
>
> (precise wording open to debate, but clearly we can do at least this
> well) whereas if we rename archive_mode, it's unlikely we can do better
> than
>
> ERROR: unrecognized parameter "archive_mode"
>
> Do you really think the second one is going to make any user happier
> than the first?

OK, good point.  I overlooked the fact that we could cross-check the
parameter settings on the master - I was imagining the error showing
up on the standby.  Guess I'm a little slow today...

...Robert