Re: 7.4.1 upgrade issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Wilson
Subject Re: 7.4.1 upgrade issues
Date
List pgsql-general
"Gavin M. Roy" said:

> I upgraded my main production db from 7.3.4 last night to 7.4.1.  I'm
> running into an issue where a big query that may take 30-40 seconds to
> reply is holding up all other backends from performing their queries.
> Once the big query is finished, all the tiny ones fly through.  This is
> seemingly ne behavior on the box, as with previous versions things would
> slow down, but not wait for the cpu/resource hog queries to finish.  The
> box is Slackware 8.1, on a fairly decent box with plenty of ram, cpu,
> and disk speed.  I've considered renicing the processes, I was wondering
> if anyone had a different suggestion.

It sounds like you are suggesting this same system and data worked fine on
7.3.4.  Just the same, you might want to provide more detail anyway.  EIDE
drives when used (not recommended for servers IMO) are often not configured
properly and can cause similar issues in a system with tons of ram and cpu.

Best,

Jim

--
Jim Wilson - IT Manager