Re: I spoke with Marc from the postgresql mailing list. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tskirvin@killfile.org (Tim Skirvin)
Subject Re: I spoke with Marc from the postgresql mailing list.
Date
List pgsql-general
bhk@dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) writes:

>(Personally, I blame the original authors of Netscape for incorporating a
>news "reader" that could access multiple servers.  Before then, most
>readers of news had no option other than to read ALL their desired
>newsgroups from ONE server, that of their university/employer/ISP.  Since
>that capability appeared in Netscape, and other browser/newsreaders,
>there has been a proliferation of *really* private newsgroups, such as
>borland.*; even microsoft.* was originally only available from one
>"site".)

    I've been involved in private newsgroup hierarchies since about
1996.  They exist, they're useful, and they're important.  I've written
code to let me use my own newsreader with multiple servers for just such a
reason.

    I firmly believe that there should be a better standard for
newsgroup names that includes (the|a) server you can access it through.

               - Tim Skirvin (tskirvin@killfile.org)
--
http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/  Skirv's Homepage <FISH>< <*>
http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/software/     Skirv's Software