data-checksums - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rakesh Kumar
Subject data-checksums
Date
List pgsql-general
--data-checksums
Use checksums on data pages to help detect corruption by the I/O system that would otherwise be silent. Enabling
checksumsmay incur a noticeable performance penalty. This option can only be set during initialization, and cannot be
changedlater. If set, checksums are calculated for all objects, in all databases.

====

If I understand it correctly, the performance penalty is when the blocks are written to the disk by the background
writerand/or during checkpoint.  Given that the process is async and application does not wait on it, is the
performancepenalty really a big concern.

thanks