how to create multiple databases running in different dirs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From frank ernest
Subject how to create multiple databases running in different dirs
Date
Re: how to create multiple databases running in different dirs  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi, I'm new to postgresql and sql in general. I desired to write a program in C that used an sql data base for IPC
andbecause multiple copies of my program might run on the same machine I wanted a way to ensure that only one copy of
eachmultithreaded program got one database but I'm uncertain how to go about this. As the program might be run
severaldifferent times and each time it should only get the data base from it's predisesor I can't use the pid
asa unique data base name. I thought that I might start multiple pgsql instances but somehow that seems wrong. Any
ideas?

Thanks, David