Aw: Re: Q: documentation improvement re collation version mismatch - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Aw: Re: Q: documentation improvement re collation version mismatch
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks, Julien, for your explanation.

> > regarding changed collation versions this
> >
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-altercollation.html
> >
> > says:
> >
> >     The following query can be used to identify all
> >     collations in the current database that need to be
> >     refreshed and the objects that depend on them:
> >
> >     SELECT pg_describe_object(refclassid, refobjid, refobjsubid) AS "Collation",
> >            pg_describe_object(classid, objid, objsubid) AS "Object"
> >       FROM pg_depend d JOIN pg_collation c
> >            ON refclassid = 'pg_collation'::regclass AND refobjid = c.oid
> >       WHERE c.collversion <> pg_collation_actual_version(c.oid)
> >       ORDER BY 1, 2;
> >
> > I feel the result of that query can be slightly surprising
> > because it does not return (to my testing) any objects
> > depending on the database default collation, nor the database
> > itself (as per a collation version mismatch in pg_database).
>
> Indeed.  The default collation is "pinned", so we don't record any dependency
> on it.

Indirectly we do, don't we ?  Or else

> >     WHERE
> >         collprovider IN ('d', 'c')

would not make much sense, right ?

The comment above the query in the official documentation is rather assertive
(even if may true to the letter) and may warrant some more cautionary
wording ?   Added, perhaps, some variation of this:

> For now, the only safe way to go is either reindex everything, or everything
> except some safe cases (non-partial indexes on plain-non-collatable datatypes
> only).

Best,
Karsten