Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 13:30, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>
>>True, but pointless. The reason this discussion is so vivid is that
>>software patents pose a real threat to our way of developing software.
>>If we at all care about this, we really should make a stand.
>>

> I don't buy this. Or rather, I don't believe open source can't work in a
> society were software patents exist.

I spend some time browsing for a page that would best condense what it
is that make me an anti-patent'ist. This one is not that bad:

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/dangers/innovation.html

The last paragraph should add that some entities that deal with software
development doesn't have the option to spend *any* time on patent
attorneys and lawsuits and even if they did, there would be no one
paying for it. Such entities are sitting ducks if the legislation goes
through.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren