Re: Imprecision of DAYS_PER_MONTH - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew - Supernews
Subject Re: Imprecision of DAYS_PER_MONTH
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2005-07-22, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> According to the current calendar (again ignoring leap seconds) there
>> are exactly 365.2425 days per year on average. I think it makes sense to use
>> this number when dealing with calendar years and months.
>
> Someone came up with 365.2422.  Which is better?

That's the difference between the tropical year (time between equinoxes)
and the calendar year. It will take about 3500 years for that to cause an
error of 1 day in the calendar (which has lead to some suggestions that
the year 4000 should not be a leap year) but in practice other errors are
likely to be more important by then.

The calendar year of the Gregorian calendar is 365.2425 days.

--
Andrew, Supernews