Re: Report generation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Harding
Subject Re: Report generation
Date
List pgsql-general
I use pdflib to generate pdf from database results.  It is a library, with no knobs on it like Access or Crystal, but
itis rock solid and has scripting language bindings for perl (ack) and tcl among others.  c is native.

It will work great in the environment you describe.  It is licensed under the Aladdin Free Public License, which should
befine.  There are others.

www.pdflib.com

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: iharding@tpchd.org

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> Haven't tried it but I came across this.
>
>     http://datavision.sourceforge.net/
>
> It is suppose to be Crystal Reports like.
>
> Down side, to me at least, is it is Java.  My success with Java
> applications - the ones I really want - has been less that stellar,
> therefore I haven't been willing to spend the time exploring this.

Rod,

  Thanks for the pointer. And, I agree about Java (despite having a friend
who's quite the expert with it). A few years ago I tried one app (it might
have been MoneyDance) that required me to get an earlier version of the JRE
in order to run. After wasting about an hour on it I gave up.

  I think that it's probably about time to really dig into learning perl.
This will let me write any reports I want and integrate them into the
application. I'll probably be able to code ad-hoc reporting functions, too,
and make it work the way we need it to work.

  But, I'll take a look at datavision.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)