Backup method - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Powell
Subject Backup method
Date
Re: Backup method  (Berend Tober <btober@seaworthysys.com>)
Re: Backup method  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello everyone:

I have a systems admin that is backing up our Linux computers
(postgres)  by backing up the directory structure.  This of course
includes all the files that pertain to my postgres databases.  I
maintain that using pgdump and creating a file of SQL commands for
restore is a better method by allowing the restore on any linux box that
is running postgress as opposed to having to reconstruct the directory
on another server.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter.  Is one way better than
the other?  Thanks in advance.

Bob Powell
Database Administrator