Re: Vacuum Full Analyze Stalled - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Vacuum Full Analyze Stalled
Date
List pgsql-admin
In my previous post I failed to mention that after we stopped the
applications and found that autovacuum remained idle for several
minutes, we restarted postgres before cleaning up the bloat on
the problem table.

Also, the log shows that autovacuum stopped kicking in after
4:43 p.m. on Friday.  It was at about this point that I was
dropping and creating indexes through psql.  I did not use
BEGIN TRANSACTION, but I went home with an index being
built on a large table, so that connection remained open until
Sunday at 9:00 p.m.  I don't know if that matters, but I'm trying
to be thorough.

-Kevin