Memory usage of auto-vacuum

From: Gael Le Mignot
Subject: Memory usage of auto-vacuum
Date: ,
Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Guillaume Lelarge)
Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )
 Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Craig Ringer, )
  Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )
 Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Guillaume Lelarge, )
  Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )
   Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Guillaume Lelarge, )
    Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )
     Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Guillaume Lelarge, )
      Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )
       Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Tom Lane, )
        Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )
   Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Craig Ringer, )
 Re: Memory usage of auto-vacuum  (Gael Le Mignot, )

Hello,

We are running  a PostgreSQL 8.4 database, with  two tables containing a
lot (> 1 million) moderatly  small rows. It contains some btree indexes,
and one of the two tables contains a gin full-text index.

We noticed  that the  autovacuum process  tend to use  a lot  of memory,
bumping the postgres process near 1Gb while it's running.

I looked in  the documentations, but I didn't find  the information : do
you know  how to estimate the  memory required for the  autovacuum if we
increase the number of rows ? Is it linear ? Logarithmic ?

Also, is  there a way  to reduce that  memory usage ? Would  running the
autovacuum more frequently lower its memory usage ?

Regards,

--
Gaël Le Mignot -
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris