Re: Possible multiprocess lock/unlock-loop problem in Postgresql 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yngve N. Pettersen
Subject Re: Possible multiprocess lock/unlock-loop problem in Postgresql 9.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Hmmm, just tested with the extra conditional indexes in the production
system, and it still took 19 minutes for the first group of queries (23
million entries, 6000 record updates, 8 processes). Afterwards, there were
no such delays.

Munin reports that during those 19 minutes there were, on average, about
1.4 million index fetched tuples per second. Assuming the ANALYZE
operations are not included in those numbers, this seems to indicate that
each process accessed around 200 million tuples in order to update 6000
rows (36000 tuples for each row; depending on what is counted, I would
have expected this to be in the range of 1 to 100 tuples per updated row).

Now that the system have spun up to 200+ processes, looking up existing
data and adding new data, it is accessing about 1.6 million index fetched
tuples per second. IOW 8 processes doing what should have been a simple
update almost matched the activity of 200+ processes (which are not yet
running at full power).

Any suggestions for where to look?

--
Sincerely,