Re: How large can a PostgreSQL database get? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Felder
Subject Re: How large can a PostgreSQL database get?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:23:41 -0500, Aleksey Tsalolikhin
<atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.  I was promoting PostgreSQL to an AIX/Oracle shop yesterday, they are
> looking to switch to open source to cut their licensing costs, and was
> asked how large a database does PostgreSQL support?  Is there an upper
> bound on database size and if so, what it is?

According to yahoo...:

http://glinden.blogspot.com/2008/05/yahoo-builds-two-petabyte-postgresql.html

...pretty big. But yahoo threw some programmers at it, I believe.

Straight out of the box? Not sure, but I'd expect many on this list have
databases larger than "enterprise oracle" shops.