Re: Background fsck - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pierre C
Subject Re: Background fsck
Date
List pgsql-performance
> What's more, this is already a new controller. It replaced the previous
> one because of exactly the same persisting problem. I think tech support
> people not knowing a solution just buy some time for them and say "flash
> this beta firmware maybe it helps" or "replace your hardware".

We had a problem like this on a server a few years ago on the job... The
machine randomly crashed once a month. XFS coped alright until, one day,
it threw the towel, and the poor maintenance guys needed to run xfsrepair.
Needless to say, the machine crashed again while xfsrepair was running
concurrently on all filesystems. All filesystems were then completely
trashed... That convinced the boss maybe something was wrong and a new box
was rushed in... Then a few tens of terabytes of backup restoration ...
zzzzzz ....

It turned out it was a faulty SCSI cable.