Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Felder
Subject Re: Migrating to Postgresql and new hardware
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:06:17 -0600, Strange, John W
<john.w.strange@jpmchase.com> wrote:

> Of course this is based on my experience, and I have my fireproof suit
> since I mentioned the word fusionIO :)

I'll throw a fire blanket up as well. We have a customer who has been
running Fusion IO with Postgres for about 2 years. They get amazing
performance, but also aren't running fsync. They haven't had corruption
with OS crashes (they're very abusive to their CentOS install), but did
with a power outage (a UPS of ours went up in smoke; they weren't paying
for N+1 power). Now their data is mostly static; they run analytics once a
day and if they have a problem they can reload yesterday's data and run
the analytics again to get back up to speed. If this is the type of stuff
you're doing and you can easily get your data back to a sane state by all
means give FusionIO a whirl!

This customer did discuss this with me in length last time they stopped in
and also pointed out that FusionIO was announced as being a major part of
some trading company or bank firm's database performance junk. I don't
know the details, but I think he said they were out of Chicago. If anyone
knows what I'm talking about please share the link. Either way, it seems
that people are actually doing money transactions on FusionIO, so you can
either take that as comforting reassurance or you can start getting really
nervous about the stock market :-)

Regards,

Mark

PS, don't turn off fsync unless you know what you're doing.