Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware

From: PFC
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  ("Fernando Hevia", )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (PFC, )
  Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
   Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Paolo Rizzi, )
     Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )
      Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Greg Stark, )
   Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (PFC, )
 Re: PostgreSQL with PostGIS on embedded hardware  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner, )

> They didn't give me complete information, but it should be some kind of
> industrial PC with a 600MHz CPU. Memory should be not huge nor small,
> maybe a couple of GBytes, hard disk should be some type of industrial
> Compact Flash of maybe 16 GBytes.

    It should work perfectly OK.

    Remember that you need a fast CPU if you have a database server that
processes many queries from many users simultaneously.
    Since your "server" will process very few queries (maybe one per second,
something like that) even a slow (by modern standards) 600 MHz CPU will be
more than enough...
    I'd say for such an application, your hardware is way overkill (it would
work on a smartphone...) but since hardware is so cheap...