Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From PFC
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date
List pgsql-performance

> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

    I think newbies should be pushed a bit to use the latest versions, maybe
with some advice on how to setup the apt sources (in debian/ubuntu) to get
them.

> How much memory will be available to PostgreSQL?
>
> How many connections will be made to PostgreSQL?

    I also think Postgres newbies using PHP should be encouraged to use
something like ligttpd/fastcgi instead of Apache. The fastcgi model
permits use of very few database connections and working PHP processes
since lighttpd handles all the slow transfers to the client
asynchronously. You can do the same with two Apache instances, one serving
static pages and acting as a proxy for the second Apache serving dynamic
pages.
    With this setup, even low-end server setups (For our personal sites, a
friend and I share a dedicated server with 256MB of RAM, which we rent for
20€ a month). This thing will never run 200 Apache processes, but we have
no problem with lighttpd/php-fcgi and postgres.