Suggestion: pg_hba.conf - improve postgresql-7.3.2/html/client-authentication.html - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jari Aalto
Subject Suggestion: pg_hba.conf - improve postgresql-7.3.2/html/client-authentication.html
Date
List pgsql-bugs
[Keep CC, if you can]

    Recently I struggled with access problems with pg_hba.conf.
    (see http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00829.html )

    The solution was simple, but to find the error was pure luck.
    Would you kindly either

    a) add a note to the pg_hba.conf.sample
    b) add to the client-authentication.html

    Following statement:

    "Please, make sure that your authorization file is located in the
    *data* directory, not the toplever postgreSQL installation directory.
    That is, the file should be located in data/pga_conf"

    In my case, there were two pg_hba.conf files, one at
    /usr/share/postgresql/ and other at /usr/share/postgresql/data/
    After copying the right one into the data/ dir, all worked ok.

    This was real puzzle because I stirred the pgra_hba.conf and
    changed it multiple times without success. And I never noticed
    that it was in wrong directory.

    Jari

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/