Re: Issues on OSX - Jaguar - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mirko Zeibig
Subject Re: Issues on OSX - Jaguar
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <DLEOKEMOOBGOBOHDJBAMMEDACPAA.rsanford@trefs.com>,
"Robert J. Sanford, Jr." wrote:
> Okay, I'm a *nix newb. A friend just pointed out that I should try ./psql
> and that worked. I acted under the assumption that the current directory was
> considered part of the path as it is in Windows (unfortunately my current
> fiscal lifeblood). Sigh.
Hello Robert,

this would be very unsecure, imagine a user on a multi-user host had
a small shell-script named "ls", which would invoke "rm -rf /".

When root entered this directory and tried to have a look at it's contents
with "ls" and the current directory (".") would be the first entry in the
path, root could erase the whole disc!

Best Regards
Mirko