Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Microsoft access verses postgresql
Date
List pgsql-admin
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, esoteric@3times25.net (Geoffrey) wrote:
> I've got a client who is following my suggestion that they replace a
> set of excel spreadsheets with a database solution.  They are
> looking at two proposals, postgresql solution or an Access solution.
> The requirements will include vpn connectivity from one site to
> another.  It appears they will be going with the Access solution.
> I've got concerns regarding this based on research I've done that
> seems to indicate that Access, when used in a multi-user solution is
> easily corrupted.  Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with
> such issues?

If the application will be lightly loaded, it may not be a big deal.
(After all, if the load is light enough, people might be able to do
the job by filling in 3"x5" index cards and filing them in a box.)

But if there are a bunch of users _actively_ updating the database,
Access gets unacceptable pretty quickly.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html