Re: Hosting Service Recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: Hosting Service Recommendations
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Kratz <chris.kratz@vistashare.com> writes:

> It seems the consensus on this list is that when running postgres,
> Opterons outperform Xeons by a significant margin not to mention the
> CS storms postgres seems to cause on Xeons.  We are looking for a
> hosting service for a postgresql based application.  Unfortunately,
> it seems most services standardize on Dell and by extension Xeon
> hardware.  Do anyone have recommendations for hosting services that
> would be able to provide Opteron based hardware and have decent
> service?  Or are we stuck with Xeons?  -- Chris Kratz

You might consider a co-located server.  You supply the hardware of
your choosing and the ISP puts it in their datacenter.

Less popular than dedicated server (owned by the ISP) but a good
choice if you have special hardware needs.

Not all ISPs do colo so, better check around.

HTH

Jerry Sievers   305 854-3001 (home)     WWW ECommerce Consultant
                305 321-1144 (mobile    http://www.JerrySievers.com/