Re: 7.3 vs 7.4 performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: 7.3 vs 7.4 performance
Date
Re: 7.3 vs 7.4 performance
List pgsql-performance
Oops! orion@trustcommerce.com (Orion Henry) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> I've done some testing of 7.3.4 vs 7.4.1 and found 7.4.1 to be 20%-30%
> slower than 7.3.4.  Is this common knowledge or am I just unlucky with
> my query/data selection?

That seems unusual; the opposite seems more typical in view of there
being some substantial improvements to the query optimizer.

Have you tried doing EXPLAIN ANALYZE on the queries on both sides?
There would doubtless be interest in figuring out what is breaking
down...

> Things of note that might matter: the machine is a dual Opteron
> 1.4GHz running Fedora Core 1 Test 1 for X86_64.  The 7.3.4 was from
> the Fedora distro and the 7.4.1 was the PGDG package.  The database
> is 3.5 Gigs with 10 millions rows and the machine had 1 Gig or ram.
>
> Oh... as a side note I'm happy to announce that the 2.6 Linux kernel
> has more than DOUBLED the speed of all my Postgres queries over the
> 2.4. =)

I did some heavy-transaction-oriented tests recently on somewhat
heftier quad-Xeon hardware, and found little difference between 2.4
and 2.6, and a small-but-quite-repeatable advantage with FreeBSD 4.9.
Now, I'm quite sure my load was rather different from yours, but I
find the claim of doubling of speed rather surprising.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "aa454" "freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html