Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, neilc@samurai.com (Neil Conway) wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Nothing here prevents individuals from participating in political
>> endeavours, so those that are so interested are free to do so.
>
> Yes, I agree -- I'd rather we not have an "official" stance or the
> like on this issue.

Being a "trans-national" project complicates this somewhat, too.

There are two really conspicuous jurisdictions where participation is
rather mutually exclusive.

 - There's the US, where, at some US-centric times, some 'murricans
   are wont to assume that everyone should write their
   congresscritter, ignoring that some of us don't have a "Congress."

 - Then there's Europe, where they occasionally get rather prickly if
   they think 'murricans are trying to tell them what to do.

 - On the gripping hand (gratuitous Niven/Pournelle reference :-)),
   there are folks living in foreign countries who may in effect not
   have a vote where they are, whether that be Canadians in the US or
   others Down Under.  "Getting political" might well injure one's
   ability to stay where they are...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html