Re: [HACKERS] 2-phase commit - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 2-phase commit
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
After a long battle with technology,mail@joeconway.com (Joe Conway), an earthling, wrote:
> (moving to advocacy)
>
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>> - The main Tuxedo reseller that I am aware of is PeopleSoft, who use
>> it for their "high traffic" clients.  Anyone that has seen news lately
>> knows that they and Oracle aren't exactly "best pals" these days;
>> having another DB option could be helpful to them...
>
> That's an interesting observation, because I've long thought
> PeopleSoft ought to support Postgres too. From what I recall, their
> database schema is *very* database neutral (at least as of PSFT
> version 7.x) and fairly simple (we ran it on MSSQL 6.5). It would
> probably be pretty easily ported to run on Postgres.
>
> I wonder how we could get them to consider it...

XA support so that it would "play well" with Tuxedo would be the best
thing I can think of.  Arguing that they _should_ consider PostgreSQL
when it doesn't support their "scalability extender" wouldn't seem
likely to me to sell well.

That's _exactly_ why I mentioned both products; congruence of
interests...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html