Re: Status reporting for COPY - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Status reporting for COPY
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:

> Would it be difficult to allow COPY to output intermediate status while
> it's in operation? IE: total rows copied so far, and maybe what position
> in the file it's in on a copy from? This would let you know it was still
> working as well as giving you some idea how much longer it will take. It
> would also be handy to get a summary report after the copy was done...
> rows inserted or exported, how long it took, rows/second.

IMHO this should be done by the client--use 'COPY FROM stdin' and keep
track yourself of where you are in the copy as you send the data.  I'd
hate to clutter up the wire protocol with status updates that are
basically noise.

There's no reason that psql's \copy command couldn't be enhanced to do
this on the client side.

> BTW, is there a more official means of submitting feature requests? I
> don't see anything like a Bugzilla for PGSQL...

Posting to -hackers is probably a better place than -general.

-Doug