Re: Recovering a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Recovering a database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Peter Bayley" <peterb@homer.com.au> writes:

> I had a hard disk crash recently (Those IBM 45Gb drives again) and had to
> reinstall Linux (RedHat 7.2) on the new disk (Seagate)
>
> My question is - how can I tell PostgreSQL (which I've obviously had to
> reinstall) to look at my existing database which was mounted on another
> volume and is still intact.?.  In other words- Can you tell a
> freshly-installed PostgreSQL to use an existing (same version) database?

Sure--set PGDATA appropriately before starting the postmaster.  See
the docs.

BTW, this would have been better posted to GENERAL rather than
HACKERS.

-Doug
--
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees.  --T. J. Jackson, 1863