"Localizing" paths? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tim Landscheidt
Subject "Localizing" paths?
Date
Re: "Localizing" paths?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-docs
Balkrishna Sharma <b_ki@hotmail.com> wrote on -admin:

> Thanks. If I want to do at system-wide level, where do I store the psqlrc file (assuming I want to change the timing
behaviorsystem-wide)?
> (CentOS 5, Postgres 8.4)
> $ ./pg_config --sysconfdir/opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/etc/postgresql
> But I don't have /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/etc/postgresql directory. Just creating the directory and putting a psqlrc file
overthere does not seem to work.
> [...]

This got me wondering: With the 8.4 RPMs, in psql's man
page, there is an unexplained
"*PREFIX*/share/psqlrc.sample"; the sample psqlrc installed
in /usr/share/pgsql/psqlrc.sample (sic!) says:

| --  Copy this to your sysconf directory (typically /usr/local/pgsql/etc) and
| --  rename it psqlrc.

Would it be feasible and desirable to "localize" the paths
in the configure stage? Pro: Fewer guesses by new users.
Con: Adds another level of complexity to the build system.

Tim