Re: Windows CHM format for the documents - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Windows CHM format for the documents
Date
List pgsql-docs
ilkka@visiomode.com wrote:
> I'm not sure if it would be a bad thing to give up DocBook, but I cannot see
> anything but benefits from using this other type of document development...

I cannot see anything but problems from using this.

- The current usage allows people to work on documents as files, using
  whatever editing tools they like.  With your "server software," that
  is lost.

- Current usage uses CVS to manage changes.  This allows changes to be
  looked at and approved/rejected/modified.  I haven't any idea if
  your system uses text files in behind, it sounds like not.

- Current usage does not mandate that anyone have a synchronous
  connection to a central server that becomes bottleneck / vulnerable
  point.

The apparent "benefit" of your tool is that it provides a tool with a
user interface that slavishly follows the Windows "CHM file" viewer.
That may be an advantage to those that want to slavishly follow
Windows development/deployment "standards," but I daresay you're NOT
in a community that is particularly interested in that sort of thing.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('aa454','freenet.carleton.ca').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html