Re: Hardware suggestions for Linux/PGSQL server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Hardware suggestions for Linux/PGSQL server
Date
List pgsql-performance
In the last exciting episode, drew@xyzzy.dhs.org ("Andrew G. Hammond") wrote:
> I don't know what your budget is, but there are now 10k RPM SATA 150
> drives on the market. Their price/performance is impressive. You may
> want to consider going with a bunch of these instead of SCSI disks
> (more spindles vs. faster spindles). 3ware makes a hardware raid
> card that can drive up to 12 SATA disks. I have been told by a few
> people who have used it that the linux driver is very solid.

We got a couple of those in for testing purposes; when opportunity
presents itself, I'll have to check to see if they are any more honest
about commits than traditional IDE drives.

If they still "lie" the same way IDE drives do, it is entirely
possible that they are NOT nearly as impressive as you presently
imagine.  It's not much good if they're "way fast" if you can't trust
them to actually store data when they claim it is stored...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html