Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> While I find some value in the one-setting-per-file approach, there's
> also some major issues with it.  And we already argued this out months
> ago, and ended up with the current single-file approach.  Let's not
> rehash the past infinitely, please?

We rehash because the situation did change *a lot*. We just decided that
the ALTER SYSTEM SET setup will live in PGDATA and will not have to be
edited by DBA nor sysadmin nor tools ever. We will have a separate
facility (conf.d) for that. As a result, I don't think there's any
issues left with one-setting-per-file now.

So yes, I think it makes sense to review our position and make the thing
as easy as possible to code and maintain. See Andres' list about that,
earlier today on this same thread.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine