Re: Autovacuum in the backend - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Douglas McNaught
Subject Re: Autovacuum in the backend
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:

> Seriously, all:  when I said that "users" were asking for Autovac in the
> backend (AVitB), I wasn't talking just the newbies on #postgresql.   I'm also
> talking companies like Hyperic, and whole groups like the postgresql.org.br.
> This is a feature that people want, and unless there's something
> fundamentally unstable about it, it seems really stupid to hold it back
> because we're planning VACUUM improvements for 8.2.

Agreed, and I don't see AVitB as standing in the way of any of those
proposed improvements--it's just that AVitB has a chance of making it
into 8.1, and none of the proposed improvements do.  I don't see why
people are objecting.

Also, count me in the "turn it on by default" crowd--I'd rather not
have newbies see unending file bloat from normal usage, it just looks
bad.  Anyone who plans to deploy for large databases and high loads
needs to learn to tune (just as with any other database) and can make
an informed decision about whether AV should be on or not.

-Doug