Re: pg_prewarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: pg_prewarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>  https://github.com/klando/pgfincore
>
> Oh, huh.  I had no idea that pgfincore could do that.  I thought that
> was just for introspection; I didn't realize it could actually move
> data around for you.

Well, I though Cédric already had included shared buffers related
facilities, so that make us square it seems…

>> Is it possible with your tool to snapshot the OS and PostgreSQL cache in
>> order to warm an Hot Standby server?
>
> Nope.  It doesn't have any capabilities to probe for information,
> because I knew those things already existed in pg_buffercache and
> pgfincore, and also because they weren't what I needed to solve my
> immediate problem, which was a way to get the entirety of a relation
> into shared_buffers.

So that's complementary with pgfincore, ok.  I still wish we could
maintain the RAM content HOT on the standby in the same way we are able
to maintain its data set on disk, though.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine