Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..?
Date
Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..?  ("Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@gentoo.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Er, which distros other than debian/ubuntu?

Well, any and all derivatives I guess, to begin with.
 http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=independence#debian Based on Debian GNU/Linux: 129 Distributions

More seriously, I'm not sure how to understand why some people will both
frown upon distribution allowing themselves to patch the version of
PostgreSQL they are packaging, and vote against making their life
easier.

If /tmp is the only decent place where to put the socket file on Unix
when security and other concerns are considered, then sure, making
distro life difficult is a good thing to do. But then let's take it to
the FHS that debian and ubuntu are implementing, AFAIUI.

I'm puzzled, maybe I'm not understanding a key point here though.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine