Re: Major features of 9.0? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Major features of 9.0?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> To start with, I'd like to come up with our list of "big features" for
> 9.0 in addition to HS/SR.  The ones I can see are:
>
> 64-bit Windows Support
> New Listen/Notify (event queueing support) -- if it makes it
> Exclusion constraints
> Default Privileges/Grant On ALL
> DO() statement
> Column Triggers
> Function call named parameters
> JSON/XML/YAML output for EXPLAIN
> Deferrable Unique Constraints
>
> Anything I'm missing?  We're going to have to narrow this down to a "big
> 5" or "big 6".

Some more:

aggregate order by
hstore improvements
new VACUUM FULL which is usable, CLUSTER like
plperl improvements
application_name
Trigger WHEN
Perfs (rbtree, skip WAL in ALTER TABLE, tsearch url/email, join removal
New Large Objects facilities and security

My vote:
 1. Integrated replication and read only slaves
 2. Triggers on column and on when clause
 3. Aggregate Order By
 4. Deferrable Unique Constraints
 5. Exclusion Constraints
 6. Default Privileges/Grant On ALL
 7. perfs

I'm not sure if the big 5 or big 6 is meant to include integrated
replication or not, so I went up to 7 items in the list.

Regards,
--
dim