Re: Upgrading Extension, version numbers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Upgrading Extension, version numbers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> * Prefer convention over configuration

The previous idea about the convention is not flying well with the very
recent proposal of ALTER EXTENSION ... UPGRADE TO VERSION ..., because
it would certainly require that the extension's name include its major
version number, like debian is doing for a number of packages.

Also, how are PostGIS 1.4 and 1.5 (and 2.0) packaged nowadays?

> * Not make me do more work that the computer can do

No computer will guess reliably which upgrade file to apply given the
currently installed version and the newer one, as soon as the same file
can get used for more than a single combination of those two strings.

I much prefer to avoid shipping that many files, and thinks that even in
the worst case where you have to add a setup line per supported upgrade
setup, the control file support for that is better.

Now I perfectly understand that there's more to this world than my eyes
can see, that's why we're talking about alternatives.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine