Re: JSON for PG 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Why would that matter more for JSON than for any other non-core type?
>
> well, it's a minor headache for all the oid-isn't-in-pgtypes.h types,
> and only then for high traffic types (which presumably json will be).

Extensions are going to be more and more used and “pervasive” in next
years, and binary wire transfers is a good goal.  What about creating
something like the PostgreSQL types IANA?

New type authors would register their OID and as a benefit would get
listed on some public reference sheet, and we could add some mechanism
so that default CREATE TYPE calls will not use reserved OID numbers.

Then it would be all cooperative only, so not a security thing, just a
way to ease binary and extension co-existence.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine