Re: MultiXactId concept underdocumented - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: MultiXactId concept underdocumented
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The new MultiXactId concept appears in a number of user-facing error
> messages, including in the scary context of transaction ID wraparound,
> so it seems kind of important, but it doesn't appear to be documented in
> any user-facing places.  Should this be rectified?  Maybe some of the
> material from README.tuplock should be moved to the user manual.  Maybe
> a less jargony term could be found as well.

In some other Open Source Product Documentations, I've found it very
useful to have a "Glossary" chapter, e.g.
 http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Glossary.html#Glossary

I think we should consider doing that, mainly copy/pasting definitions
we already have here and there at the beginning of chapters and
sections, and maintain a full Glossary of the technical terms in use
within our product and that you must understand to be able to use it,
either as a developer or a dba or a sysadmin.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine