Re: Inline Extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Inline Extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> I'm with Heikki on not believing that this is a good idea.  If you are
> trying to do careful versioning of a set of object definitions, you want
> to stick the things in a file, you don't want them just flying by in
> submitted SQL.

I'm trying to open the extension facilities (versions being the first of
them, think \dx) to application PL code, and to hosted environments
where you're not granted access to the server's file system.

I think I would agree that the use case is not existing if the target is
traditional in-house deployments where the sys admins are your
colleagues. I've been told that's a smaller and smaller part of the
database world though.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine